Nave and chancel:
Completely rebuilt in 1867 by the most talented Gloucestershire architect of the period, John Middleton the design is imitation 14th century decorated style. The walls are of local sandstone with Painswick stone dressings around the windows. The carved corbels are of caen stone from Normandy, and in the nave are carved characteristically with leaves, flowers and fruit. A carved bird, angels and angels playing musical instruments are also to be found. The corbels were carved by R.L. Boulton of Worcester and Cheltenham and sculptors brought over from Italy.
The Chancel Arch is banded blue and white, with polished granite carved flower capitals resting on corbels with large groups of angels.
Stained Glass Windows & Pictures:
The stained-glass windows are by Hardman, Swaine Bourne and Wailes and all completed between 1867-1891. The East window over the altar is a memorial to Mts. Onslow, wife of R.F. Onslow, the landowner who lived at Stardens, who died suddenly in 1866, and it show three scenes in the life of St. Anne.
The 8 pictures (1907) in the church were added during the Reverend W.S. Irving's 40-year incumbency and show the scenes in the life of Jesus.
The choirstalls were added some time after the main restoration. Music had always been part of church services - in 1793 a gallery was built in the church for singers, and in 1851 it was agreed that four pounds was allowed out of church rates for the benefit of the choir.
In 1860 it was agreed to sell the cello belonging to the Parish and put the proceeds towards a harmonium.
In 1905 the organist asked for a rise but was refused for lack of money! The choir continued until shortly before the last war, some of the men walking long distances to sing both at Oxenhall and Pauntley.
The pultit is another older survivor and is carved with the initials W P W W 1632, probably the initials of the churchwardens William Pippet and William Wetherlock and the date it was made.
The old Black Letter Bible belonging to the church, circa 1613, used to be kept in Hereford but is now in the Gloucester Records Office.
Pews & Kneelers:
The pews were also replaced in the renovations as the old high box pews were not in favour. Mr. Fred Baldwin, Churchwarden, whose grandfather helped build the church with other local stone masons, remembered that in 1947 the pews were black and the walls green. The pews were cleaned and varnished and the walls painted cream by Mr. Baldwin's workers.
The kneelers in the church have been stitched by ladies of the congregation.
The carved stone reredos behind the altar is by John Roddis of Birmingham, who also carved the tracery in the windows. The reredos has a diapered (small repeating pattern) arcade, and is richly carved with fruit and flowers.
During the Reformation the old High Altar was removed and replaced by a communion table, placed by the Puritans in the middle of the chancel. In 1636 the churchwardens were ordered to restore it to its traditional position.
Probably also by John Middleton and built in the late 1860s, is of red sandstone with white ashlar dressings and a tiled roof.
The wall has had to be repaired and rebuilt throughout the centuries. In 1866 a 'survey of Railes and Walls of the Churchyard" was made. The church wall was measured with the names of 38 owners of land recorded, each being responsible for repairing his portion of the wall.
In 1841 the old Church House, used as a Parish Hall, was pulled down and its stone used for repairing the wall, which was rebuilt again in 1866 with Lady Monson's offer to pay for the rebuilding being "gratefully accepted".
Further to an open meeting to discuss repairs needed to St. Anne's Church Oxenhall - held at the Parish Hall on Monday 28th October 2008 - an Oxenhall
Church Roof Appeal (OCRA) committee was formed to oversee both fund raising aspects and also the actual repair.
The Chairman of the OCRA committee is John Bowers and the OCRA secretary is Eifion Rees.
Regular OCRA meetings have been held with the minutes circulated not only to OCRA committee members but also to all PCC members. We are only a small community and good communication was deemed to be very important.
The Fundraising was divided into 3 spearheads
An Appeal letter to the general community
Grant applications to suitable potential funders
Actual Fundraising events
Results of the above to date:
The appeal letter produced a generous response
Grants have been obtained from
Gloucestershire Historic Churches Trust
Gloucester Environmental Trust
National Churches Trust
Fund raising events have included
Daffodil Teas - an existing event
A poetry evening
Munches & Bunches
Guitars in the Garden
An evening with Julian Dowle - a multi award winning garden designer
Monthly Parish lunches
Guidance on Grants and Faculty have been given by Canon Jonathon McKechnie Jarvis at Church House, Gloucester Cathedral.
Our church archirect, Ian Stainburn, drew up a specification for the work - it was decided to tackle repairs to the Chancel/Vestry first as a previous English Heritage application for a grant for the whole roof had been declined - with a suggestion of a phased approach. We also thought that to have this work completed quickly would both help generate and maintain our enthusiasm.
The job was put out to tender and the contractor selected was Worcester City Tiling.
Following a slow start mainly due to inclement weather the work to the Chancel & Vestry was completed in July 2009 - well below the budgeted cost.
We have now reapplied to English Heritage for a grant for the Nave roof - and have recently passed the first hurdle.
The OCRA committee remain enthusiastic and dedicated and very grateful to all the extremely generous support that has been given to date.
There are three bells hanging in the tower, only two of which are ringable. The third doesn't have a rope, and is on the highest frame, right under the truncated spire.
The history of the bells is a little indeterminate, but very interesting.
Two of them are mid fourteenth century. Their founder is uncertain, though it is thought that he worked in Gloucester. John Le Belyter (John of Gloucester) was casting bells up to 1346, but according to the Reverend H.T. Ellacombe (1881) and Miss Mary Bliss (1986), it is not his work. John Hendley was casting bells at Gloucester before 1400 but it is not is work either. There may have been two founders between these times, but no-one knows their names. The treble bell is inscribed, weighs about 4 cwts, and has a diameter of 28 and a half inches. The second 'blank', weighs about 6 cwts, and is 31- and three-quarter inches in diameter.
The tenor bell is inscribed as follows: + MDCV. RI. CH. RH. WC. RB
JOHN GRIFFIN VICAR DANIEL DOWDESWELL HARRY LITTLE CHURCHWARDENS 1912 LLEWELLYNS & JAMES LTD BRISTOL
Some or perhaps all of this lettering was reproduced from an earlier bell, so there were three bells in 1881 when Reverend Ellacombe wrote about them. This bell weighs about 7 cwts and has a diameter of 34 and a quarter inches.
The bells were rehung on metal frames by Llewellyns & Jones in 1912, with all new fittings.
It is provisionally proposed (subject to the advice of a professional bellhanger should restoration go ahead) to install a frame beneath the existing main frame, substitute stainless steel girders for those the frames presently sit on, move the top bell to the lower frame and purchase a new or reclaimed bell to take the third position in the higher frame. There would then be four bells in correct position for ringing, and should a future generation wish to add two more bells to make a ring of six it would be very straightforward to hang them in the lower frame.